10 Tips for Women With PMS
By Susun Weed
Water retention, mood swings, sore breasts and indigestion are problems experienced by many women in the week preceding menstruation.
Relieve water retention
1. Take 10 to 20 drops of dandelion root tincture in a cup of water with meals and before bed.
2. A strong infusion (one ounce of dried herb in a quart of boiling water, brewed overnight) of the common weed stinging nettle not only relieves but also helps prevent further episodes of water retention. I drink a cup or more of this infusion daily whenever I want to nourish my kidneys and adrenals.
Moderate mood swings
3. Tincture of the flowering tops of fresh motherwort is a favorite calmative. I use five to 10 drops in a small amount of water as a dose, which I repeat as needed, sometimes as frequently as 3-4 times an hour until the desired effect is achieved. I never feel drugged or groggy or out-of-it when I use motherwort to help me calm down.
4. For women who consistently feel premenstrual rage, I use 20 to 30 drops of motherwort tincture twice a day for a month to help stabilize moods. I urge these women to take a moon day -- one day right before or at the start of the menstrual flow which is set aside for you and you alone.
5. One or more cups of an infusion of the herb oatstraw (the grass of the plant that gives us oatmeal) helps the nerves calm down and provides a rich source of minerals known to soothe frazzled emotions.
Relieve congestion and tenderness in the breasts
6. Twenty to 30 drops of the tincture of cleavers (another common weed) works wonders. This plant, also called "goose grass," was used as a black tea substitute by the colonists. The dose may be repeated every hour or up to six times a day.
7. Women who get a lot of calcium and magnesium from their diet (leafy greens, yogurt and many herbs are rich in these minerals) have less breast tenderness. Increase the minerals in your diet with a cup or more of red clover/mint infusion daily.
8. Large cabbage leaves, steamed whole until soft and applied as warm as tolerable, can be used as a soothing compress on breasts that are sore and swollen.
Relieve digestive distress
9. A daily dose of 1 teaspoonful/5ml yellow dock root vinegar will help relieve digestive distress.
10. A cup of yogurt in the morning (buy it plain and add fruit at home) replaces gut flora and ensures easy digestion all day long.
© Susun Weed. For permission to reprint this article, .
Susun Weed has been living the simple life for more than 30 years as an herbalist, goat keeper, author, homesteader and feminist. See Susun's complete Wise Women Herbal Series books. Visit www.susunweed.com and www.ashtreepublishing.com.