51 Easy Ways to Go Green
By Tabitha Tucker
Sustainable living is an approach to social and economic -- indeed, all activities -- for all societies, rich and poor, which is compatible with the preservation of the environment. It is based on a philosophy of interdependence, of respect for life as well as non-living parts of nature, and of responsibility for future generations. -- The Sustainable Living Network
Sustainable living is essential to the welfare of our world. Try some of these suggestions to leave your environmental footprint a little lighter and make a difference.
3. Use vinegar and water to clean.
4. Maintain a pesticide-free garden and lawn.
5. Take shorter showers (even one minute shorter each day will add up to a lot of saved water).
6. Wash and re-use food containers.
7. Buy organic food.
8. Use cloth napkins.
9. Turn the water off while you brush your teeth.
10. Use your towels several times before washing them.
11. Install low-flow shower heads.
12. Turn the heat down while you’re out and asleep.
14. Grow indoor plants.
15. Clean with baking soda.
16. Wear your clothes more than once before washing them.
17. Order coffee in a reusable cup.
18. Walk to the corner store rather than driving.
19. Shop locally.
20. Live near your workplace.
21. Use public transit.
22. Ride your bike.
23. Reduce your consumption of disposable items.
24. Get out and enjoy nature (you’ll automatically want to help preserve it).
25. Use gift bags that can be reused (and then reuse them).
26. Support fair trade.
27. Take David Suzuki’s Nature Challenge.
28. Eat more veggies and less meat.
30. Choose an energy-efficient vehicle.
31. Wash clothes with a full load.
32. Run your dishwasher only when full.
33. Repair leaky toilets.
34. Repair leaky faucets.
35. Use a low-flow toilet.
36. Plant drought-resistant native species in your garden.
37. Use high-efficiency appliances.
38. Wear natural materials (organic, when possible).
39. Support local farmers.
40. Learn about local environmental issues.
41. Eat whole foods.
42. Avoid excessive packaging.
43. Carry reusable shopping bags with you.
44. Support alternative energy sources.
45. Use recycled paper products.
46. Let the dishes in your dishwasher air dry.
47. Use rechargeable batteries.
48. Use cloth diapers.
49. Support green businesses.
50. Air dry your laundry.
51. Decorate your home with natural, renewable materials.
© Tabitha Tucker and Earthy Family.
Earthy Family is a family-owned and -operated business dedicated to fostering family wellness and natural interactions within our physical, social, emotional and spiritual environments. Their aim is to expand the frontiers of the parenting community and enhance meaningful relationships within families, communities and the world.